Monday, June 11, 2012

"The greatest dishes are very simple dishes." Auguste Esoffier


Happy Monday, followers! Hope you all had a great weekend!
Since I have been back at work full time, I have been finding it a bit difficult to set aside the time to 'create' in the kitchen at home. Quick and easy meals are reality these days and I must admit that grocery store convenience has been helpful. For instance, those large bins of pre-washed greens. We love salad and I do like to make one every other day, but recently I have been using my greens in another way. Sauteed arugula and spinach with garlic and pine nuts is my latest obsession. Yum! Delicate spinach with robust arugula are good on their own, but add in a full flavoured extra virgin olive oil, garlic and rich pine nuts... Well, enough said! We have been eating it in just about every way possible and once you've tried it, you will too!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Sauteed Arugula and Spinach with Pine Nuts
(serves 2 as a side dish)

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 large handfuls arugula
2 large handfuls spinach
Sea salt to taste

*make sure to have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go because once you start, the cooking is done rather quickly!

Heat the oil in a large frying pan on medium heat, add in the pine nuts and stir until they are lightly browned, 3 to 4 mins. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add in the sliced garlic and lightly fry until aromatic but not browned, this will only take about 30 seconds. Now toss the greens and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Continually turn and toss with your tongs until they are wilted. If your greens are wet they could sputter a bit, so be careful. Stir in the pine nuts, adjust seasoning and serve. Enjoy!
As you can see, these greens can be served in just about any way possible and for any meal of the day! I have been taking some pictures over the last week of ways I have been serving ours. Other ideas for the sauteed greens could be in a quiche with bacon, layered into a lasagna, stirred into creamy risotto or slathered on top of your fave pizza! Wow, the possibilities are simply endless!!! Sorry, I'll settle down now... I just can't help but get excited about good food! I will bid you all adieu for now my loyal followers, have a great week and I promise to be back next Monday!
Serve over pasta with homemade ricotta style cheese or goat cheese...
Make into bruschetta by brushing toasts with extra virgin olive oil, rubbing with garlic, topping with the greens and adding shaved Parmigiano Reggiano or your fave hard cheese... (today's recipe will make about 12)
My delicious breakfast this morning! Top lightly buttered toast with the sauteed greens and a poached egg, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper... Bon Appetit!

No comments: