Sunday, April 8, 2012

Jane Rodmell's Lemon Honeycomb Pudding

"Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment." Ellis Peters

Ahhh, Spring is here in all her glory! I hope you are enjoying this lovely Easter weekend, my fun loving followers!
I always know that winter is over when the Spring Cottage Life Show is on and I am doing cooking demonstrations with Jane Rodmell. The show was last weekend and I must say, it was a success! If you haven't been out to the International Centre for a Cottage Life Show, you should. There is so much to see and do, even if you don't have a cottage! Ha! Of course, my favourite place in the whole show is the Cottage Kitchen. That's where the live cooking demonstrations take place and right beside it is the wine booth where sampling is always encouraged. This year, Jane and I did our demos with eggs. Eggs are one of those foods which are so, so versatile! I must admit, I have an egg almost every morning for breakfast. Fried, scrambled, poached, boiled, etc., I'll take 'em any way you make 'em! Kevin and I discovered an egg farm just outside Georgetown last year and we have been going back for their large brown, farm fresh eggs ever since. And believe me, you can certainly taste the difference between farm and store bought eggs. In fact, I did a taste test not too long ago and hands down, the farm eggs won. So, for the demonstrations, I bought several dozen eggs for Jane and I to do our demos with and people loved our tasty samples. We did a frittata with asparagus, prosciutto with thyme and a delicious, light as air pudding. Lemon honeycomb pudding is a recipe which Jane's Mum used to make for the family. It is so simple and the result is a lovely layered pudding, which will impress any guest! Perfect for Spring, I just had to post Jane's recipe!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Jane Rodmell's
Lemon Honeycomb Pudding
(serves 6)

Ingredients
3 eggs, separated
1/2 oz (15 g) pkg gelatin
1/2 cup sugar (125 ml)
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
6 tbsp 35% (whipping) cream (90 ml)
11/2 cups whole (3.2%) milk (375 ml)

1. In a large heat-proof bowl, beat together egg yolks, gelatin, sugar, zest, and cream.
2. In a saucepan, heat milk to simmering. Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir constantly while custard heats through and thickens to a creamy consistency. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Pour lemon custard through a strainer (to remove zest) and into egg whites; fold together. Pour
mixture into a 4-cup (1-L) jelly mould. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours. When pudding is firmly set, loosen edge with a knife and turn out onto a serving plate.
http://cottagelife.com/46432/blogs/cottage-feast/jane-rodmells-lemon-honeycomb-pudding-recipe

Something else which signifies Springtime in my family is a visit back up to 'The Land'. For those of you who don't know, we have 10 acres of land out in Norfolk County, Ontario. Five acres of it is woods and the other five was a soy bean field which we have converted into a lovely meadow. With so much clover, it is always a buzz with busy bees! My Dad got in touch with the local arbour society and had a few hundred trees planted. We have also put in a few fruit trees and have a large garden. My Dad, my sweetie Kevin and my brother Jordan just went up on Friday for a visit to see how our land held up over winter. Besides a fallen tree, everything was in it's place. In the garden, our garlic patch and asparagus are up and growing! Did you know it takes 3 years to establish an asparagus patch?! Well, lucky for us, our third year has arrived and we have edible stalks growing! But, as you can see in the picture below, the frost got to some of the asparagus and killed it. But, with more stalks coming up, I think we are finally going to be enjoying our very own asparagus soon! I cannot wait to taste it! Anyhoo, I should go, we are having Easter dinner at my Grandparent's house and also celebrating my Grandmother's birthday! Yay! So, have a great Easter and we will catch up soon! Bye!

Photographer: Bert Visheau

No comments: