Saturday, June 11, 2011

Stewed Ontario Rhubarb

 "It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is." Mark Twain

 
Good day, my followers!
Well, I might as well fess up and admit that I too have spring fever! Yee ha! I got it so bad that I have to tell you, I am finding it hard being inside to write this blog... When it isn't raining you'll find me working in our lil' garden or simply sitting outside flipping through a cooking mag. This spring has had it's ups and downs and I feel the need to take full advantage before it ends! Last week I told you about Andrew's Scenic Acres in Milton, where my sweetie Kev and I have been picking our own asparagus. Well, we have been picking our own rhubarb as well! Rhubarb seems to be one of those things that people either love or hate. Unfortunately, Kev claimed that he hated rhubarb, until I made today's recipe and won him over! Stewed rhubarb is a seasonal treat that is so easy to make and is most popular in my family. Though we traditionally eat our stewed rhubarb over custard, I enticed my sweetie by offering it up over ice cream. Definitely a different experience for me, but none the less delicious!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Stewed Ontario Rhubarb
(serves 4)

4 cups rhubarb, chopped (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla or 1 vanilla bean

.place all ingredients in a pot, simmer on medium low for about 15 minutes until the rhubarb is soft and it has thickened slightly, enjoy!

Didn't I tell you it was easy?! Now, I prefer my stewed rhubarb a bit tart, so please feel free to adjust the sugar to your own taste. Not only delicious with custard or ice cream, this stewed rhubarb would be delicious served over cake as well (look for Pound Cake on my 'Simple & Tasty Recipes' page). Also, I just had some over plain Greek yogurt for my breakfast and it was fantastic! I swear, this recipe with win anyone over to the rhubarb loving side!
Well, my followers, I will not be posting a blog next week for I am going on a road trip! Yippy! My cousin Marie is visiting from England and a gang of us are taking her to Montreal, Mont Tremblant and Ottawa for a week! It will be mine and Marie's first trip to Montreal and I suspect we are going to love it! Then once we are back, I am off for a three day camping trip with Kevin's family. Talk about fun! I have a feeling that both trips will be full of new and exciting culinary adventures and I promise to document each and every one of them! Enjoy these lovely springtime days my followers and I will be back soon! Au revoir, mes amis!


Link:
Andrew's Scenic Acres, http://www.andrewsscenicacres.com/

No comments: