Friday, April 15, 2011

Bacon and Old Cheddar Biscuits

"Mmm... Bacon." Homer Simpson


Hello followers! Hasn't the weather been lovely?!
Ah, spring has sprung and I hope you have all gotten outside to feel the warm sun and fresh air! My fiance (ahh, so happy!), Kevin and I went for a hike the other day out at a place called Limehouse and we had a great time! Birds happily chirping, squirrels running a muck and frogs in the pond peeping up a storm! They were so loud, that from a distance, I thought car alarms were going off! My Dad managed to get up to our 10 acres in Norfolk County to spray our fruit trees with dormant oil. This oil based spray is a great non-toxic treatment that is safe for the environment, which we find very important! Oh man, I can't wait to get up there myself! I've had the windows open all week and am anxiously waiting for the daffodils outside of our living room window to bloom. Come on little dudes, you can do it! Oh and believe it or not, I also did some baking! That's right, my Achilles heel, baking... I have always said that it takes a special person to become a pastry Chef and unfortunately, it's not me. I just don't have the patience, but I am trying to change that! So, on Wednesday afternoon, I got down to business. I knew a simple biscuit recipe would do just fine and I knew we had some bacon in the fridge (have I ever mentioned how much I love bacon?!), but I needed something else... Cheddar cheese and scallions ended up doing the trick! No muss, no fuss and talk about tasty!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Bacon and Old Cheddar Biscuits
(makes about 15)

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup butter, chilled
3 to 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 cup old Cheddar cheese
1to 2 scallions, finely chopped
1 cup milk

.preheat oven to 425
.in a large bowl combine flour and baking powder
.add in the butter and either cut it in with a pastry cutter, two knives or quickly use your fingers to break up the butter into pea size pieces
.stir in the bacon, cheese and scallions
.make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the milk, stir with a fork until just mixed
.turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead 8 to 10 times, roll out the dough until it is about 2cm thick
.cut out desired shapes and place the pieces on a parchment lined tray
.bake for 12 to 15 minutes until tops and bottoms are browned, serve warm with butter, enjoy!

Yum is a all I can say! These bacon and Cheddar treats are so darn good, I am tempted to make them again on Sunday for brunch! Of course, you don't have to use bacon, Cheddar or scallions. Feel free to mix it up. So, even though it's supposed to rain this weekend (come on, it's a good thing!), let's all get outside and enjoy our new season! I'm not sure what Kev and I are up to yet, but I will make sure to tell you all about it next week! Heck, maybe I'll even do some more baking! Ha! Till then, my happy, spring lovin' followers! Have a great weekend!
 




No comments: