Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure." William Feather

Hello my followers, it's been a while, hasn't it? I feel the need to explain why... To tell you the truth, my heart hasn't been into blogging as of late. You see, my sweetie Kevin recently lost his Mother. As of today, one month has past. So, with Kevin's permission, I am dedicating my blog today to Sandy Patey.

Sandy had been ill for a while and after a long and hard fight, she finally succumbed to her cancer on October 17th. I am here to share a bit about a wonderful woman who, unfortunately, I only got to meet a year and a half ago. The Sandy that I got to know was a strong, adventurous woman who had a great sense of humour. I suppose you would have to have a great sense of humour to raise four boys. That's right, I said four boys! My Kevin is third in line and I must admit that all of his brothers, Chris, Geoff and Rob are all just as sweet as my sweetie. Sandy did a great job! Sandy loved to sing. She was a member of the Georgetown Choral Society for over 30 years, during which time she sang for thousands of people throughout Europe and North America. Most recently her music kept us company at the hospital, in which we played her choral favourites 24 hrs a day, knowing that Sandy could hear every song. Kevin's Mum and Dad loved to travel and it became a passion! Moving the family to England when Kev was only a boy, Ron and Sandy caught the travel bug and dragged the boys across Europe! As soon as the kids flew away from the nest, Kev's parents began to travel the world. And not just those typical places you would consider, but everywhere from Peru to Namibia, from Bali to China and just about everywhere else in between! If any of us get to see half of the places Sandy and Ron got to visit, we'd be lucky! Sandy even managed to travel across New Zealand earlier this year with Ron and participated in such activities as white water rafting, scuba diving, climbing a glacier and going up in a glider airplane (a life long dream that came true for her!). This is the Sandy that I knew. The strong mother who loved life and was fearless. I miss her very much and really wish that I got to know her better. But, instead of looking back and thinking of all those 'what ifs...' I have decided to cherish the time that we got to spend together. I think you will like the photos we have included, I'm pretty sure that they represent Sandy's spirit. We miss you so much Mum...
Kevin and Sarah

p.s., if you are interested to seeing more photos of Kevin's parent's travels around the world, go to their website at:




No comments: