Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Creamy Asian Marinade, Sauce or Dip

"Have a mouth as sharp as a dagger, but a heart as soft as tofu." Chinese proverb

Howdy followers, how are you? Wasn't the weather lovely for the Thanksgiving weekend? I hope all of you had the chance to get out there and enjoy some warm, fresh air with your friends and family!
So, in my last blog I posted my article that is featured in the current 'Sideroads of Halton Hills' magazine. How exciting! If you enlarge the photo, you can read the recipes clearly (and as always, if you have any questions, just ask!). The spiced pumpkin custards would have been perfect for Thanksgiving, but can be enjoyed anytime this time of year! My next deadline for the winter edition is October 29th. I have been brainstorming like a mad woman and have come up with a couple of good ideas (I hope!). I will keep you all informed as my deadline approaches! Now, onto today's blog... My childhood friend Jane contacted me and made a request for a recipe. Due to dietary restrictions, she has basically become a vegetarian. Luckily for her, it turns out that Jane loves tofu! First made in ancient China during the Han Dynasty over two thousand years ago, tofu is made from soy bean curds. High in protein and iron, it's a great meat alternative. Also, with it's mild flavour, tofu can be marinated in any style and prepared in just about any fashion. Since Jane likes to cook and enjoys experimenting with new flavours, I decided to make her an Asian marinade, which can also be used in many ways...


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Creamy Asian Marinade, Sauce or Dip
(makes about 1 cup)

1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste) or peanut butter
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1 lime, juiced
1 garlic clove, fine chop
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, fine chop
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 to 3 tbsp water
*sambal olek or chili flakes, optional
1 package (350 g) extra firm tofu

.whisk all ingredients together in a bowl
.cut the tofu your fave way, add enough marinade to coat the tofu pcs
.put into an airtight container and refrigerate overnight
.prepare the tofu in your fave manner (I prefer to pan fry in a hot pan with a little sunflower oil. Do not crowd the pan, fry in batches if you have to, to ensure even browning.), enjoy!
Depending on how thick you want this marinade, adjust the amount of water added. Tofu is like a sponge and will soak up any flavour, the trick is to give it enough time. This recipe can also be used as a sauce for a stir fry or a dipping sauce for any Asian treat (i.e. satays, spring rolls or my 'Rice Paper Rolls' found on my 'Recipes' page, yum!). If made with the tahini, this recipe is a great nut free alternative for anyone with allergies! Super easy to make with ingredients that can be found in any grocery store, make it and find out how versatile this recipe can be! And finally... Jane, I hope you like it!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah!! Thankyou so much for taking the time to create this mouth watering delicious dish. I loved it!!!! It was very simple to make, marinade was awesome! Using the sweet chile sauce was perfect for my taste, as I love sweet food with a little heat to it.
Thanks again
your childhood friend/always
Jane

Unknown said...

Thanks Jane!