Thursday, July 31, 2014

Ontario Summer Tomato, Herb and Cheese Tart

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato." Lewis Grizzard


Hiya followers! How are you enjoying your summer?!
Wow, it's been a little while since I have sat down and worked on a blog. You see, I have a problem concentrating on a computer screen indoors while outdoors the sun is shining and there is summer fun to be had! Camping, swimming, gardening are just some of the seasonal activities we have enjoyed so far and have loved every minute! Not all of my fun has been outdoors, I have also been busy doing my cooking demos in downtown Georgetown and always have been highlighting locally grown produce! For a recent demo, I bought some tomatoes from the Georgetown Farmer's Market and decided to do something simple, yet impressive! Today's recipe is something similar and I hope you attempt it at home because it's just SO easy! Serve as an appetizer at your next summer party or pair a slice with a salad for a lovely lunch or dinner course!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Summer Tomato, Herb and Cheese Tart
(makes 9 medium squares, or 18 small)

1 x 275 gram sheet puff pastry (I prefer P.C. Butter Puff Pastry)
1/4 cup of your fave pesto or chopped fresh herbs (I used basil pesto) 
3 good sized Ontario tomatoes, sliced
1 cup of your fave cheese, grated (I used a combo of mozzarella and asiago) 
¼ cup Parmegiano Reggiano cheese, grated
Extra virgin olive oil, good quality for drizzling
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
A handful of chopped fresh herbs for garnish (I used basil and dill from the garden!)
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Roll out the puff pastry sheet and place on a parchment lined tray.
Spread out the pesto or sprinkle the fresh chopped herbs evenly over the puff pastry, leaving about a 1 cm border all around the edges. Top with the grated cheeses and lay the tomatoes out single layer on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, lightly drizzle with the olive oil and place in the oven for about 20 to 25 mins, until the pastry is evenly browned and crisp. Top with the fresh herbs for garnish, slice and serve hot, warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
See?! I told you it was easy! Use this recipe as a base and please fell free to switch things up to suit your own tastes! Instead of puff pastry, use pie pastry or even pizza dough. Change up the herbs to whatever you have in the garden and also feel free to top with yummy greens, such as arugula, frisse or chopped kale! The possibilities are endless, you honestly can't go wrong!
Alrighty loyal followers, bye for now and I swear, it won't be so long again before I'm back with another Culinary Adventure!

 

No comments: