Monday, November 26, 2012

Baked Cheese and Onion

"Food... has that ability to comfort." Norman Kolpas

Hello my followers! How are you all today?
First of all, I'd like to say thank you! Since I last looked at my blog count, it seems like I have had more than 20,000 views! How amazing is that?!
Today I am going to share with you my favourite meal that our Nanny would make for us as children. My Nanny was from England, so needless to say, most of the food we grew up on was English. I know, I know, English cuisine is not exactly seen as fancy or that adventuresome, but I love it! It is the ultimate comfort food! Hearty soups and stews, roasts, fish, pasties, pastries and good old sharp English cheeses. Yum! Crumbly Cheshire cheese always adorned our tossed salads and Old Cheddar was often paired up with onion to make sandwiches, pies, tarts and the recipe I am blogging about today. Cheddar cheese and onion baked under the broiler until hot and bubbly, accompanied with soft bread was my childhood favourite. Pure savoury deliciousness is what I am talking about!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Baked Cheese and Onion
(serves 1)

2/3 to 1 cup grated Old Cheddar cheese
several sliced onion rings
1 tsp butter
2 to 3 tbsp milk
fresh ground pepper

Preheat the broiler and move the rack to the middle of the oven.
On an ovenproof plate, spread out the grated cheese evenly. Place the sliced onion rings on top, dot with butter, pour over the milk and grind a little pepper.
Place the plate on a tray, put on the middle rack in the oven and broil for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and browned. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, place on a liner plate and serve with bread. Enjoy!
Oh boy, just the aroma from the oven while making this has flooded my mind with memories. I can just picture the family sitting around the kitchen table, Nanny to my right, getting ready to enjoy our baked cheese and onion. I haven't had this dish since I was a child and it is still as delicious as I remembered! Food does so much more than just fill our bellies and keep us nourished. It can comfort us in so many ways and bring back memories of wonderful and joyous times.
Bye for now my followers and I'll be back soon with another culinary adventure!



No comments: