Friday, February 17, 2012

No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread with Rolled Oats and Seeds

"If thou tastest a crust of bread, thou tastest all the stars and all the heavens." Robert Browning


What a wonderful quote! Wouldn't you agree, my long weekend loving followers?!
Well, as promised I am back with a another 'no-knead' bread recipe. I have been experimenting for a little while and this one just happens to be my sweetie's favourite! This whole wheat bread, laden with rolled oats and various seeds, is dense and moist. It makes such flavourful toast, especially when slathered with butter or jam. And, I should also mention how wonderfully crunchy this bread becomes when made into a grilled cheese sandwich. Impeccable! This 'no-knead' method is so effortless that believe it or not, I still haven't bought bread in months. I can honestly see myself making my own breads for a long time and as far as I'm concerned, homemade bread tastes much better than store bought. Not to mention you know exactly what the ingredients are, it allows for creativity, personal taste and also saves a bit of money! How can you go wrong with that?


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

No-Knead Whole Wheat  Bread with Rolled Oats and Seeds
(makes 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves)

3 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/4 tsp (21 gr) quick-rise (instant) yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup mixed seeds (I used pepitas, sunflower, flax, sesame and poppy)
1 2/3 cup lukewarm water

Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and combine with a wooden spoon. Pour in the water and stir until all of the the ingredients are well combined with no dry floury bits. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap (or a recycled plastic bag without any holes) and allow to rest for 4 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size and is bubbly in appearance.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and with floured hands (the dough will be quite sticky!) shape your dough into a desired shape. If you please, cut the dough in half and shape two loaves. Place the loaf onto a parchment lined tray and allow to rise until doubled in size once again, about 1 1/2 hours. At this point you can cut a slash into the loaf, like I have. Heat the oven to 400, bake the bread on the middle rack for about 30 mins until browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. For a crusty loaf, place a shallow vessel filled with water onto the lower rack at the same time you put your bread in the oven. The steam will make the crust. Cool on a rack to room temperature before slicing, enjoy!
I really do hope you try this bread recipe out and I will definitely continue to experiment and let you all know how it's going!
Now followers, I have two exciting culinary adventures I'd like to announce! Next week I am joining my Dad and Uncle Jeff at the 2012 Ontario Fruit & Vegetable Convention being held in Niagara Falls. The point of interest for our visit is a lecture on growing hops. And we all know what hops are used for, right? Making beer! And that is exactly what my next announcement is about...
The month of March is going to be dedicated to homebrewed beer! Very exciting stuff! My Uncle Jeff's Nut Brown Ale is almost ready and once it is, the fun will begin. I will show you how homebrewed beer is made from start to finish and will also include beer based recipes. So, the countdown has begun and I promise great things are about to come! Enjoy your long weekend, followers and we will catch up next week!

No comments: