Friday, September 3, 2010

Ontario Grilled Vegetable Couscous Salad with a Tomato, Basil and Balsamic Dressing

"There is nothing that is comparable to it, as satisfactory or as thrilling, as gathering the vegetables one has grown." Alice B. Toklas

Good morning my fave followers!
Wow, the last day of 'Salad Week' is upon us. You know, I had a hard time coming up with today's salad. I was looking at my basket full of veggies from our garden (including our fabulous summer squash, pictured above!) and wondered which vegetable I should highlight. Well, then I had another thought... Why not use them all?! Okay! So, I came up with today's salad: grilled vegetable couscous salad with a tomato, basil and balsamic dressing. It's a celebration of summer vegetables, that are all grown locally, here in the fertile land of Ontario. Please stop and think about where we live for a minute. We are in the middle of farmland that produces fruits and veggies, wheat and grains, nuts and berries. We all live close by to dairy and meat farms that make fantastic products. We even have the terroir to support an internationally recognized wine making community. How lucky are we, to be surrounded by all these bountiful riches?! And what is the best way to celebrate? Well, by simply taking these gifts and creating wonderful food to share with friends and family. I hope you like today's salad...



Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Grilled Vegetable Couscous Salad with a Tomato, Basil and Balsamic Dressing
(makes about 4 cups)

2 cups cooked couscous (2/3 cup dried)
2 cups grilled veggies (I used summer squash, bell peppers, eggplant, scallions and red onion)
fresh basil, torn, for garnish

Tomato, Basil and Balsamic Dressing:
(makes about 1 cup)

1 medium tomato, rough chopped
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp or 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
fresh ground pepper

.prepare couscous, following package instructions, set aside to cool
.make dressing by putting all ingredients in a blender or processor for about 30 seconds
.mix couscous and veggies together, add enough dressing to combine (there should be some leftover), adjust seasoning
.serve on a platter, in a bowl or on individual plates, garnish with torn basil, enjoy!

With every bite, you will be enjoying the summer harvest! Try serving this salad on a bed of greens, top with your favourite cheese or throw in some olives. Instead of fresh tomatoes in the dressing, use a few sun dried. Heck, you could even warm this salad up as eat it hot. The possibilities are endless! Now, today's blog is not over, I've got more to say...

 Here's a quote for yah to read:
"...I'm taking this spring and summer off to: spend time with my family and friends, work on challenging projects, cook a lot of wonderful meals, learn more about food and to work on my parent's farm. This is where today's blog starts..."
Anyone remember that one? You're right, it's from my first blog, written on May 5th. Now, four months, over 3600 views and 99 blogs later, here we are. Hmm, did I end up achieving what I listed up above? Yep, and some! I can't believe that I did it! I really can't! I am honestly surprised that I kept my blog going and that I enjoyed every minute of it. I challenged myself and as it turns out, some people out there think I'm a pretty good writer! Who knew?! I was asked to write an article for the Stratford Chef School alumni newsletter and I might have got the gig of the Chef contributor for the seasonal 'Sideroads of Halton Hills' magazine. Wow! But don't worry my followers, I am going to continue with my blog! I will now write a weekly blog, instead of writing daily. I figure that this will allow me to spend a bit more time and energy on just one recipe a week. I will announce my blogs on Facebook when they are being posted and for you who are not on Facebook, you will just have to check in everyday and be surprised! And alas, it is time for me put aside the life of a freelancer and get back to work. Oh well, no worries! This experience has been so rewarding and I am so proud of myself for taking a chance. It has been a dream come true and I am so happy that you were all here to share it with me! Thank you so much.
Well, till next week sometime, my loyal followers... :)